Friday, July 07, 2006

Our trip to Nebraska and more...

Our trip to Nebraska was a success! As many of you know I was a nervous, anxious wreck during the week leading up to our departure....would the babies travel okay, how many times will we need to stop, will it take us 20 hours to get there, will they sleep okay while we're there, what if we get in an accident? The list of neurotic questions and what if's goes on and on. I am happy to report, however, that all went well! It took us 9 hours with 3 stops along the way to get there. We made it home in under 8 hours with only 2 stops. Ada and Emmet slept most of the way and we stopped when they told us it was time. I brought along my trusty double nursing pillow and was able to nurse in the back of the van. Nana and Pops followed us and were a big help during stops - the extra hands to feed (when we did bottles), hold and play were invaluable! I sat in the very back of the van so I could entertain, soothe and offer pacifiers when needed. Roger drove, obviously!

Great Great Grandma was delighted beyond words to meet Ada and Emmet and hold them in her arms. I had to choke back the tears watching her with them as I hadn't expected the strong emotions that would bring out in me. It was a very special trip...how many people can say they have met their Great Great Grandma? Ada and Emmet got to meet A LOT of new people and they were quite a hit! We were anxious to get home but sad to say goodbye.

The day after we returned Great Uncle Jack, Great Aunt Kathy, 2nd cousins Mark and his girlfriend Carrie, Paul and his wife Michele and 3rd cousin Jenna came to visit from Atlanta. It was great to see them! Jenna is a cutie pie and liked looking at the babies! The babies were recovering from their trip and were kinda cranky but hey, we can't all be happy all the time right? We don't get to see this crew very often so it was so nice to spend some time together, even if it's a different kind of visit than it used to be - diapers, bottles and babies have replaced restaurants, beers and music!

The next day was 4th of July and we had another busy day. Grandma Marcin, Uncle Bill and cousin Alexis and Cantrell came for a cookout. Ada and Emmet did pretty well but were still recovering and a little fussy. They certainly enjoyed being held by Grandma Marcin and Uncle Bill! That night we had a cookout with friends and Greg and Gina. The babies joined us for a little while and after bedtime Roger and I were able to enjoy some adult time with a fire and good food in the back yard!

I was anxious to get back on schedule and have some peaceful days at home with the babies. They are slowly getting back to "normal" after all the commotion and have been much happier the last two days. Roger and I woke up to Emmet talking away in the crib this morning with a big smile on his face! So precious!

No comments: