Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Bittersweet
We had a doctor appointment today for both Ada and Emmet because mommy is paranoid. Ada had been extra fussy lately and appeared to be pulling at her ears and had a couple of days when she just wanted to be held all day. She also has developed a new cry which I haven't figured out yet but it sounds like "mommy hold me something doesn't feel good". Emmet seems to be so congested at times, keeps spitting up a lot of his food and hasn't been eating as much as he used to. He also seems to be extra sleepy lately - when he's not doing his "drama cry", which entails the ever so pleasant silent scream and blue face. They are both fine, no temperatures, ears look good, lungs sounds good. The doctor said their bellies feel a little gassy but that's normal. She suggested that we try Ada on soy formula to see if that helps with the fussiness/gas. She also mentioned that she will keep a close eye on her head. Ada had an enormous hematoma after birth, which has since gone down dramatically but her head is still uneven. Apparently blood from the hematoma can "calcify" and can require surgery to scrape it off. Something to think about, nothing necessary and not urgent by any means. Anyway - the big news is their weight. Ada is now 8 lbs, 5 oz and Emmet is 7 lbs 14 oz. This is wonderful news of course but I am feeling sad as well. I was looking at pictures from the hospital and when we brought them home and I just cannot believe how big they've gotten, how much they've changed and it became all too clear to me that although the days are long the weeks and months are incredibly short. They are no longer wearing preemie clothes and are quickly outgrowing the Newborn diapers. As much as I look forward to the next new development and the next stage I'm already missing my 5 lb peanuts that I brought home just 5 short (and yet extremely long) weeks ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm just now getting caught up on reading your blog so this post is a little past due. I totally know how you feel about them growing so fast even though time seems to creep by... I can't believe Jenna is almost 3 feet tall and practically running marathons already! I sure loved it when she was itty bitty and it was over too quickly! All I can say is, take lots of pictures and videos, because it's over in a flash! They are adorable, can't wait to meet 'em!
Post a Comment